In preparation of the play-test, Suzanne and I cut out a toilet-shaped seat and lid and put them on top of a chair. We agreed that the piece should be isolated in some way; whether enclose with cardboard, curtain, or even install near a corner.
Above is the system diagram. User enters and sits on the toilet. Once they are sitted, the sound piece will be played. They hear the piece and record a response. They get a note from the toilet then exits.
Questions Still Need Figure Out: Do user get a printed message before they end the experience?
Do we want them to be able to hear their own recordings?
Or does it make more sense to play other people message?
1. Sound manipulation from everyday objects.
I would love to see how things we use and see each day can be manipulated into a musical instrument. Some of the “instrument” I have in mind are rubber shoes, kitchen utensils, or even washing machine. The Nike/Free Run Plus project serve as one of my inspiration.
2. Self-motivated machine.
In ITP, I often felt my time fleet away without me even noticing, like I need 36 hours to catch up with all the workloads and classes I am taking. I wanted to create a installation that moves on its own without people interacting with it, a truly self-motivated piece, to make a resemblance of my current status.
Halloween is such a huge thing in States that even our PCOM midterm revolves around the theme. Which is weird for me and my group mate Arnab, because we never really get to celebrate it back in our countries. We heard that there is even a Halloween parade coming up this week, and streets will be shut down partially.
The initial idea for the project was based on the hammer game. But instead of hitting the target as hard as you can with a hammer, you squeeze it.
Breaking down the component of the hammer game, we have:
1. a input where force is detected
2. a visual and audio output to represent the force (a.k.a score)
3. a reward
With the components listed above, we then decided to make it a candy dispensing machine to have it more relevant to Halloween.
After setting our idea, we quickly went to production. We were able to talked with a few people who had similar projects before, namely Lola, Cammy, and Armitabh. Lola lent us a MPX 5010 air pressure sensor which we tested on stress ball, enema, and silicon. Enema and silicon works surprisingly well since they both have a hallow space inside.
We decided to customize our own shape by 3D-printing a mold and casting it with silicon. Cammy recommended us to get the Smooth-on Eco-flex 00-30 on it. We got it from the Compleat Sculptor. They have all variations and samples of the silicon.
After getting the sensor to work. We worked with the lights, audio, and motor, and fabrication.
We moved forward to coding with Arduino. This week’s lab walk us through the interface of Arduino and how to write a simple code. We were asked to come up with an application of digital input and output.
Last weekend, Maker Faire held its annual exhibition at NYSCI. I volunteered to help the 2nd year’s out and was assigned to this project named Presence, a project of Dan Oved.
It was really a fun project. By using the webcam, it captures body poses and reflects them real-time on screen and on the installation. If you do not feel comfortable moving your body around, there is also a midi set that act as a controller. I love the fact that it involves so little explanation for people to make interactions. They just know what to do; some sway their arms up and down, some do jumping jacks, some even dance!
One of the biggest problem we encounter is when there are other people present in the background, the program gets confused on who to interact with. Also, I think the pattern created in the real world is not as obvious as it is portrayed on the monitor.
After being able to light up a push button LED, we were asked to make a creative switch. I decided to try toggle switch, when switch to one side, one of the LED lights up, when switch to another, another LED lights up. But then I failed. Both LED lights up when switch is on one side. Which is not what I want. My good classmate Tushar came over and helped me with the sketch and board.
This second one was a flat iron switch! When the two ends touch together, LED lights up. I grab some aluminum foil from the shop and wrap them around the iron. Then place two wires to each side respectively.
The third one was a swiper switch, that when card is swiped across swiper, LED lights up. The shapes were created using laser cutter. I assembled them and included coil tapes and jumper wires.