MUV phone add-on

For the first assignment of absurd class, we were told to make a phone add on.

Ideation

On our initial meeting, we thought of the different problems people encounter when using their phone, exposing your messages to stranger on the subway standing next to you, having the risk to damage your eyes or the experience of the phone dropping on your face while checking it late night in bed. We also thought of the scenarios people use their phone, going to the toilet with, eating lunch alone, taking photos, pretend you’re occupied in a social gathering when no one talks to you.

From those observation, we thought of solutions that could addressed it:

  • Air purifier so you can browse your phone while using restroom or get you out of the weird situation of farting in an elevator
  • Roly-poly basement for phone so you will never smash your screen
  • Horse-shield that blocks screen from being seen
  • Water gun that shoots highly active kids and pets when you pull the lever, at the same time triggering shutter from the phone
  • Hour glass that flows and blocks your screen to potentially reduce screen time

That same week, Pedro asked us to look around dollar stores and get some ready-made cheap object for our next workshop. Pedro asked us to use these objects to come up with futuristic products for dollar store.

I think hacking through an existing item is pretty efficient and creative. One of them I got was a bike ring. We then come up with the idea to have it as the phone add-on to prevents you from bumping into someone when browsing your phone down the streets.

The making

At this point, we thought our idea was good and want to move to the execution. I was thinking of all the ways to preserved the aesthetic of the bike ring without having to do too much modification. Nick, on the other hand, wants to figure out the mechanics of it and create our own version. We cracked the bike ring open and try to minimize the component needed for it to still function.

Nick was very skilled at it that we were able to put together our first prototype within a few hours, thanks also to the 3d print model we found online.

The biggest problem for this version is that the bike ring is too big to go into your pocket and that the case does not serve extra purpose other than a surface for the bike ring to latch on. From here on, Nick and I tried different approach in solving this. He attempted to remodel every piece of the bike ring in a smaller scale using Rhino while I try searching a smaller one from Amazon.

Replaced the case with a clip-on model to go with the tiny bell. This does not really go well with the bell since the fidget is positioned differently from our first one.

The second version works great but the leg was too long. We also thought of putting our Juul-inspired logo on the product.

We alter the measurements and did a couple more printing. When we are happy with the result, we spray painted and sanded them to make it even more polish.

Final product